Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The 4 Loves

So I know I just posted a couple hours ago, but technically, it IS the next day so I'm gonna post anyway.

The past two entries I have mentioned "agape love." Just in case my readers (all 2 of you, haha) don't know what I'm talking about when I say that, I will break it down for you as wikipedia has aided me. =) There is also a book by C.S. Lewis explaining it in more detail. I. Want. That. Book.

  • Stergo - "fondness through familiarity, especially between family members or people who have otherwise found themselves together by chance." Family love. People you love because you have to; you otherwise would have nothing to do with them.
  • Phileo - "a strong bond existing between people who share a common interest or activity." The kind of love you have for your friends.
  • Eros - "love in the sense of 'being in love'." Sexy, sexy. Hence: erotic.
  • AAAAAND AGAPE! - "an unconditional love directed towards one's neighbor which is not dependent on any lovable qualities that the object of love possesses." Basically, as it says: unconditional. Hard to do when people aren't treating you how you'd like them too, but it's how people are supposed to love each other. It's how God loves us. You know you're not exactly worthy of His love - but he still does? What?! Agape. Corinthians says "it holds no records of wrongs" - that sounds pretty unconditional to me!

No comments: